Connect with us

Politics

SC Verdict Isn’t Incursion Into Parliament; Mr. Speaker, You’re Wrong! – Kabila Blasts Alban Bagbin | Politics

Published

on


James Kwabena Bomfeh, popularly called ‘Kabila’, a Consultant at KN & Associates – a Human Resource Management and Legal Services firm – has slammed the Speaker of Parliament, Rt. Hon. Alban Bagbin over his reply to the Supreme Court and President Nana Addo on the court verdict about Deputy Speakers to participate in decision-making in Parliament or not.

Hitherto, the right of the Deputy Speakers to be considered Members of Parliament and take part in parliamentary decisions has been vehemently opposed by the Minority.

The opposition even resulted in a brawl last year in the chamber when Deputy Speaker, Joseph Osei Owusu, sitting in for Speaker Alban Bagbin, decided to hand over his seat to the Second Deputy Speaker in order to join a quorum to vote on the 2022 budget.

The Supreme Court, on Wednesday, March 9, ruled that a “Deputy Speaker is entitled to be counted as a Member of Parliament for quorum” and can “vote and take part in the decision of Parliament”.

President Akufo-Addo Comments On SC Ruling

Following the court decision, the President of the Republic explained why it’s legitimate for the Deputy Speakers to participate in voting.

”We are being told that the decision of the court amounts to judicial interference in the work of Parliament. I’m not quite sure that the people who are saying have actually taken the time to read the constitution of our country. It says so in black and white.

”The legislative power of Parliament [that is vested] that is of the State which is vested in Parliament is subject to the provisions of the constitution. All organs of the Ghanaian State including me as the Head of Executive, we are all subject to the teachings of the constitution. There is nobody in the Ghanaian State that is above the fundamental law of the land”, he said.

The President asserted that defying the ruling will ”lead to the very matter that we have striven so long to avoid; the concentration [of power] of unregulated power in our State. We don’t want that. We’ve had that experience before and we brought about this constitution in order not to allow that to reoccur” and expressed shock over what he believes is over-concentration on this subject matter, saying ”I’m astonished about how much public energy has been wasted, I say so with the greatest of respect, been wasted in an area on an issue where there is so much clarity and I’m happy that the court”.

Speaker’s Reply

The Speaker, issuing a statement on the ruling, described the President’s comments as ”myopic” and the ruling as a ”reckless incursion” of Parliament.

Excerpts of the statement read; ”Good morning comrades. I have resisted the temptation of making a comment on the judgment of the Supreme Court on the issue of the voting rights of Deputy Speakers when presiding. But the unfortunate and myopic comment of the President has compelled me to let it out. The SC decision, is to say the least, not only an absurdity but a reckless incursion into the remit of Parliament.

”The trend of unanimity is equally troubling. It doesn’t help explore and expand our legal jurisprudence. The President’s comment is myopic and unfortunate. It only goes to worsen the schism between the Executive and Parliament.”

”The issue being discussed is the political question doctrine. It took centuries to detail out the strands of this doctrine and the principles are settled as to when and how this closed book could be opened. Please, I encourage the Plaintiff to go for a review”, the Speaker stressed.

Kabila Fires Speaker

But Kabila finds the Speaker’s statement in a distasteful manner and queries him on why he would call for a review of the verdict.

Reminding Mr. Bagbin about some statements he made where he called for a legal remedy on the Deputy Speakers’ issue, Mr. Pratt wondered what has changed for the Speaker to such remarks about the court ruling.

Speaking to host Kwami Sefa Kayi on Peace FM’s ”Kokrokoo”, Kabila rebuked Mr. Babgin saying, ”none of his statements worried me like the part which says what the Supreme Court has done is an incursion into remit of Parliament. Mr. Speaker, I beg to differ; you are wrong! Now, you are asking the applicant to go back for a review. I want to ask Rt. Hon. Speaker Bagbin that if the Supreme Court grants the review, will it be an incursion into the remit of Parliament or it will be an incursion into the remit of the Executive”.

He believed the opposition and unparliamentary happenings in the Legislative House, by the Minority, is to fuel President John Mahama’s “comeback” campaign and nothing else.

”In fact, the gymnastics that occur in Parliament is a continuation of the failed JDM 2020 comeback,” he stated.

Source: Ameyaw Adu Gyamfi/Peacefmonline.com/Ghana

 

 

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.

Featured Video



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Politics

Pros Of Choosing Dr. Kwabena Duffuor To Lead The NDC In 2024 | Politics

Published

on


At the polls on December 7, 2024, one thing is sure to be evident: there will be relatively new faces on the ballot sheets.

In the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), the retirement of President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo from the race, seeing that he is serving his second and final term in office, the position of flagbearer has become vacant.

With names such as Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, Alan Kyerematen, among others making rounds as the likely candidates in the forefront to vie for the slot, many others too are tipped to join the race.

In the opposition, National Democratic Congress (NDC), apart from the clear indication from former president John Dramani Mahama at making another try at the presidency, only one other name has clearly come out as a possible contender.

Dr. Kwabena Duffuor, a former Minister of Finance under the late John Evans Atta Mills, has already been touring many parts of the country, making attempts at cementing his place in the race that is scheduled for November 2022.

Ahead of any such concrete declarations, GhanaWeb has put together this list of pros and cons that could or could not work in favour of Dr. Duffuor in such an instance.

PROS

Ashanti lineage:

Dr. Kwabena Duffuor hails from Kumawu in the Ashanti Region of Ghana, and that is a feature that could easily work out for him in the elections.

With such an appeal to the people of the region, his chances of attracting more people of the Ashanti-lineage to the NDC flock could be a big plus for him.

Besides, should he win the bid, he would be going head-to-head with the NPP, which largely dominates the Ashanti Region in terms of political appeal.

Rawlings faction:

Although he is no longer alive, the late former president, Flt. Lt. Jerry John Rawlings’ influence in the National Democratic Congress (NDC) cannot be questioned.

Being the founder and the leader of the party for many years, the Rawlings’ still command as much influence as ever.

Dr. Duffuor is one of those people who can be confidently said to be a ‘Rawlings boy.’

If he puts himself forward for the flagbearer position, he is most likely to have the appeal of the Rawlings faction in the party.

Money and funding:

Political campaigns are expensive and if it has to come to funding a campaign, Dr. Duffuor might not have such a big problem doing that.

With many businesses to his name and regarded as one of Ghana’s richest men, he can easily fund his own campaign and take away the worries of where to get money from.

Scandal-free Finance Minister:

When he served as the Minister of Finance of Ghana between 2009 and 2013, his tenure was not fraught with as many controversies as many others had.

This could be a plus for him should he aim for the presidency.

Source: Ghanaweb.com

 

 

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.

Featured Video



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Agenda 111 Project At Agortime Ziope Takes-Off | Politics

Published

on


Authorities have broken grounds for the construction of a multi-facilitated hospital for the Agortime Ziope District of the Volta Region as part of initiative to construct over 100 hospitals across the country.

Local Government authorities led by Madam Emelia Emefa Adzimah, District Chief Executive, traditional leaders, and political party executives, joined the project consultants and implementers on a brief ceremony of presentation of site. 

The project is being managed by the Ghana Priority Health Infrastructure Project-Agenda 111, and would be delivered by Eye-con Limited together with two others, Caks limited, and Northrock limited at an estimated cost of USD$ 12 million. 

Pearl Consult, project consultants, represented by Madam Pearl Ogyiri delivered an update of execution timelines of 18 months with counting time tentatively June, this year.

She explained to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that some conditions precedent including site presentation, mobilisation to clear site and the finalisation of some paper works is responsible for the June count time.

She said local content remained cardinal in the execution process assuring the people of fairness and assured the team of the support of the people towards the smooth realisation of the project. 

She said the Assembly and its resources would be available to support its success. 

Mr Samuel Asiedu, representing Northrock Limited, an Accra-based construction firm, said the project would enhance the local economy apart from engaging the local people, the supply of food and other logistics would benefit them.

He pledged on behalf of Eye-Con and Caks Limited construction firms to deliver qualitative work based on specifications to serve generations.

Nene Akoto Sah VII, Chief Warlord of Agotime Traditional Area told the GNA that the enclave had struck some luck with the New Patriotic Party-led government in terms of landmark infrastructure and amenities as during the Presidency of John Agyekum Kuffour, the area benefited from the provision of water and subsequently a market facility and now a start of a District hospital project.

He said their lobbying beyond a decade for a District hospital is a dream come through and ‘wish that the project will be completed only tomorrow.’

“We look up to the completion of this district hospital to save and curtail the burden and associated problems of my people having to from service medical and healthcare mostly in Ho.”

The Warlord declared that the people are anxious and willing to support the project with sand, stone chips and others for the expedited completion of the hospital.

A kick-off meeting among the various stakeholders preceded the handing over of site for the project. 

A total of eight Municipals and Districts are grafted into the agenda 111 projects namely, Afadzato South, Ho-West, Adaklu, Agotime-Ziope, Akatsi South, Anloga, South Dayi and Akatsi North.

The government has secured a USD$ 100million start-up fund for the Agenda 111 projects including specialised and regional hospitals across the country.

Source: GNA

 

 

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.

Featured Video



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Ten Nigerian Cabinet Ministers Resign To Run In Next Year’s Election | Politics

Published

on


Ten Nigerian cabinet ministers, including the junior petroleum minister, have resigned to run in next year’s election, the information minister said on Friday, with the president pledging to replace them to keep the government running.

On Thursday, the government asked all ministers, ambassadors, agency heads and other political appointees including the central bank governor to resign on or by May 16 if they decide to join the 2023 election race.

Other ministers that resigned include ministers of justice, transport, labour, Niger Delta, science and technology and women’s affairs. The junior ministers for mines and education also resigned, information minister Lai Mohammed said.

President Muhammadu Buhari said replacements would be made without delay “so that the business of governance will not suffer”.

Buhari, who also acts as the senior petroleum minister, will step down after serving two four-year terms following the February 2023 ballot.

Nigeria is currently faced with many challenges as it heads into next year’s election, among them the issues of insecurity, terrorism, banditry, kidnapping, ritual killings, a weak currency amid double-digit inflation and slow growth.

There is also secessionist agitation which has given rise to regional calls for power-sharing between southern and northern Nigeria.

The naira, hit a record low of 598 against the dollar on the black market, where it is freely traded, as election-related spending hit the currency.

On Wednesday, Buhari directed all appointed officials seeking elected positions to resign. 

Vice president Yemi Osinbajo, who wants to succeed Buhari, was exempted from the directive since he was jointly elected with incumbent Buhari.

A ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) party spokesperson said central bank governor Godwin Emefiele may seek the ruling party ticket for the presidential race next year, drawing calls for him to resign over his political ambitions.

Emefiele has asked a federal court to restrain the electoral commission (INEC) and the attorney general from blocking his bid to run for president next year while in office, which the court rejected.

Nigeria’s political parties must pick their candidates by June 3. Buhari’s APC will hold primary elections to select candidates, include for president, at the end of this month.

More than 20 APC candidates have so far registered to contest the primary vote for the presidential ticket.

 

Source: REUTERS

 

 

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.

Featured Video



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending